Monday, March 29, 2010

Cool African Paintings in New Haven

My very talented artist friend David Barton is having a show at ArtSpace in New Haven. It’s of his African paintings, a compelling, unique series of wildly imaginative paintings inspired by African culture. Some reflect the motif of a Rousseau-like jungle that also runs through his architectural series, where the jungle quietly invades the cast iron buildings of Manhattan and the A-frame houses of Booth Bay Main. Others capture the magic of cultural masks.


These jpegs don’t do justice to the vibrancy and energy of the works. Get thee to Connecticut to see them in person, through May 1.



4 comments:

dorki said...

Those are the best examples of out-of-the-boxedness that I have seen since Dali!

Mapeel said...

So glad you like the work! I am such a fan of David's painting myself.

Tim F said...

Rousseau with a discreet splash of Seurat, I'd say. Intriguing.

Mapeel said...

Yes, Seurat. I was trying to think of him, but couldn't recall the name. Leave it to Tim to know.