Friday, March 4, 2011

3 Quarks Daily: The Arts & Literature Prize. Vote for Me!

The other day I followed a tweet link from the uber-connected Maud Newton and ended up on the info page for the Quarks’s Arts & Literature prize. Can I say here how much Twitter can be like a box of Cracker Jacks? You never know where you are going to land when you click a link.

I’ve visited the 3DQ before, but I’m not a regular reader, so I didn’t know that they started a series of prizes for web writing in 2009, in the categories of Science, Philosophy, Politics, and Arts & Literature.

The Arts & Literature prize this year is being judged by the fabulous Laila Lalami. I nominated my essay about Alice in Wonderland & Tim Burton’s film in the open nominating phase, and then it was chosen to go on to the next round.

Vote Here!
That’s where I could use your help. Go here if you would like to vote for me to go on to the finals round.

It would be nice to win something, but it’s equally nice to see a bunch of good blog writing brought together for any reason.

Back to those Quarks

A little bit more about the 3 Quarks Daily website:

"When Murray Gell-Mann and George Zweig postulated the existence of three new subatomic particles in 1964, Gell-Mann decided to name them "quarks", an unusual word meaning "croak" or "caw" which James Joyce had used in Finnegans Wake: "Three quarks for Muster Mark!" In present-day physics, there are more than three quarks, and some are said to have properties named strangeness and charm, which, we think, describe this weblog as well."

0 comments: