Tuesday, July 6, 2010

HeatWaaaaaaaaaave



I’m turning to the musicians to help lift my spirits into the cool zone, away from the infernal heat that feels like August at its dog-days worst, here in early July.

Bad enough that nature decided to bake Gotham until it’s good and crispy. The MTA quietly cut back service pretty dramatically on June 27 on both bus and subway lines. Meaning that mass transit is significantly more crowded, all the time. Bad enough under normal circumstances, very bad when you can’t bear to wait on the platform “until the next one” both because it’s too hot to wait there, and because the next one will be just as crowded.

So as I stand waiting for the #1 train, I summon these songs into my head, and I start to feel cool and happy.

Lovin' Spoonful: Hot town, summer in the city, back of my neck getting dirty and gritty




Ella and Louis, Summertime. Louis’s playing is sultry personified. Makes the sweat running down my back in the subway almost feel sexy (almost).



But the best song to lift the heatwave spirits is from MARTHA and the Vandellas. Woo hoo! The beat is so happy, her voice so clear and declaratory you just want to start dancing. Bring it on, heatwave.

Whenever I'm with him
Something inside
Starts to burnin'
And I'm filled with desire

Could it be the devil in me
Or is this the way love's supposed to be

Just like a heatwaaaaaaaaaaave
Burning in my heart
Can't keep from cryin'
It's tearing me apart

2 comments:

dorki said...

Great post MA! Those old songs are cool to hear (double meaning intended). Hot weather is common here in the Sunny South, but the heat island effect in big cities is indeed dreadful.

In addition to those old songs you might try a trick I used to survive sun, humidity, and heat at the races I once worked.
1 - Acquire old broad-brim light color hat
2 - Turn hat upside down
3 - Half fill with cracked ice (refreshment stand)
4 - Quickly slap it onto your head
5 - Realize it looks funny, but enjoy the cool anyway

Keep up your spirits.

Mapeel said...

Thanks for the tip dorki. Luckily we are back down to 90 degrees (although the humidity is very high). And as they say, this too shall pass.